Before you gear up for a few months of heavy heating bills, you may want to consider checking out this program that the City of Atlanta and Georgia Power are offering. Straight from the city…
The city of Atlanta is seeking 100 homes for its pilot SHINE (Sustainable Home Initiative in New Economy) program, a weatherization rebate to incentivize home energy improvements. Under the program, home owners have the ability to receive up to a $2,000 rebate toward qualifying improvements. Improvements include, but are not limited to, duct and air sealing, insulation improvement, caulking, weatherstripping, and the replacement of doors and windows that are the source of significant heating and cooling loss.
- home must be in the city of Atlanta
- single-family homes qualify (need not be owner-occupied)
- home must undergo home energy efficiency assessment by HPwES Professional
- work must be performed by a SHINE qualified improvement contractor
- work must be completed before rebate will be issued
- rebates will be paid directly to the home owner
Home owners may also qualify for a potential $1,500 federal income tax credit if they make certain energy improvements during 2010, in addition to a $1,900 rebate through Georgia Power.
Home owners interested in participating in the pilot program should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-588-5982 to have an information packet mailed to your home. The pilot program ends Dec. 31, 2010.