Finally, after months of procrastination, I took a free tour of the Atlanta BeltLine. Yes Atlanta, you can take a free bus tour of the BeltLine every Friday and Saturday morning. Tours leave the Inman Park MARTA Station at 9:15.
In tribute to the lousy, David Letterman “”10 Ten”” knockoff t-shirts that were so popular in the early ’90’s, here’s my very own “”Top Ten Reasons Why You Should Take The BeltLine Tour”” list:
1. You get to ride on the short bus:
2. It’s free. Three hours of information and entertainment, no cost.
3. The BeltLine is transforming Atlanta. Contrary to popular belief, the BeltLine already exists. You’ll get to see the first official trail, the planned parks, and more.
4. There’s a 137 acre former quarry that sits just five minutes from Midtown Atlanta. It’s going to become a reservoir and massive park (bigger than Piedmont Park, in fact). Don’t you want to see it in person? 5. You’re going to be paying for the BeltLine, in some way, shape, or form. Don’t you want to understand the investment?
6. The BeltLine won’t be successful without active input from all of us. After you take the tour, there are tons of opportunities to get more involved with planning and advocacy.
7. It’s the best tour of Atlanta, even better than those Segway Tours that run through downtown Atlanta (who takes those, anyway?).
8. Sprawl is not the answer.
9. You might make new friends.
10. You’re guaranteed to see parts of Atlanta that you’ve never seen before.